Looking for a great place to take your student, a group of DA students or a quiet spot to enjoy a meal? Maybe you need to pick up food for a team gathering or just need a cup of coffee? Here is an “insider’s guide” to food and dining options near the Academy, put together by DA parents.
Starting closest to campus, you’ll find the following within walking distance of campus:
- Champney’s Restaurant and Tavern (81 Old Main Street) is located at the Deerfield Inn and is a perennial DA parent favorite for breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks. GF and V options.
- Richardson’s Candy Kitchen (500 Greenfield Road) offers chocolate, candy and ice cream and is the place to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Williams Farm Sugar House (491 Greenfield Road) is a maple syrup mecca with its working sugarhouse and restaurant, which is open only in sugar season (Feb-Mar, check website for exact dates each year). You won’t want to miss it!
For breakfast and morning coffee, you might try:
With the closest Starbucks in Amherst and a Dunkin’ in Greenfield (295 Federal St), coffee lovers will want to check out these options:
- Greenfield Coffee (1 Bank Row)
- Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters (100 Federal Street) (Sandwich lunches too)
- Bittersweet Bakery & Coffee (470 Greenfield Rd, Deerfield) —very close to DA, good for breakfast/lunch.
- Nourish Wellness Cafe and Juice Bar (10 Bridge St, Northhampton) is a hip cafe with juices, smoothies and healthy options. Organic, V, GF options.
In addition to the restaurants above, here are a few more local lunch options:
- Bonnie B’s (Greenfield) – breakfast/lunch spot where Brass Buckle used to be (for those who remember the Brass Buckle!).
- Green Fields Market (Greenfield, 144 Main Street) is in the center of town and offers organic produce, natural groceries and a full service deli and bakery.
- Hillside Dairy & Creamery (South Deerfield, 20 Elm Street)
- KD’s Tasty Eats & Treats (Deerfield, 222 Greenfield Road)
For dinner (and many of these offer lunch too), there is a wide variety of options within 20 minutes of campus and we’ve listed many below. An asterisk (*) indicates that a restaurant can accommodate large groups.
- The Alvah Stone (440 Greenfield Road, Montague) serves American fare and is set in the historic Montague Mill building. Note: it’s on the river, a beautiful setting, involves a drive with a winding road.
- Blue Heron Restaurant (112 North Main Street, Sunderland) is a small, upscale restaurant set in the Old Sunderland Town Hall and specializing in globally inspired farm-to-table dishes.
- Bueno y Sano (3 Elm Street, South Deerfield) serves burritos, bowls, quesadillas and salads.
- *Champney’s Restaurant and Tavern at Deerfield Inn – see above.
- *The Farm Table at Kringle Candle (219 South Street, Bernardston) is an upscale, farm-to-table restaurant with fireside dining, well worth the 20 minute drive from campus. V and GF options.
- Five eyed Fox (37 3rd St., Turners Falls) is an American pub/bar with V and GF options.
- Gianni Fig’s (6 Elm Street, S.Deerfield) has Italian, V and GF options.
- *Goten of Japan (104 Old Amherst Road, Sunderland) is a popular sushi and hibachi restaurant and great for large groups of all ages.
- Hope & Olive (44 Hope Street, Greenfield) is a small, local favorite with “everyday specials” featuring local fare for lunch/brunch and dinner. GF and V options.
- Magpie (21 Bank Row, Greenfield) is a sister restaurant to Hope & Olive offering casual pizza and pasta. A student favorite! V and GF options.
- Mesa Verde (10 Fiske Avenue, Greenfield) is a local burrito bar serving fresh Mexican fare.
- People’s Pint Brewpub (24 Federal St, Greenfield) is a warm casual spot with local fare, American food, organic foods from local growers. Great burgers, GF and Vegan options.
- Thai Blue Ginger (298 Main Street, Greenfield) serves fresh, authentic Thai fare.
- Wolfie’s (52 S.Main Street, S.Deerfield) – lunch, dinner, bar area, all in a low key spot, diner feel in Sunderland. Local favorite, family owned, 40 years.
24 Hour Food, for any time and for those who arrive late and all of the local restaurants are closed:
- Whately Diner (372 State Rd, Whately) for good burgers, fries, salads, and milkshakes!
Take Out or Delivery
Ask any DA student about take out and delivery options and they will tell you that these are among the favorites for meals post-game, dorm gatherings and other events:
- China Gourmet (Greenfield, 78 Mohawk Trail)
- Domino’s (Greenfield, 368 Federal Street)
- Goodie’s Pizza (Greenfield, 256 Federal Street)
- Thai Blue Ginger (Greenfield, 298 Main Street)
- Village Pizza (Greenfield, 42 Bank Row)
For sandwich platters:
- D’Angelos Sandwich Shop (Greenfield, 68 Mohawk Trail)
- Panera Bread (closest store is Hadley, 351 Russell Street)
Last, but not least, the closest large grocery store is the Big Y Supermarket, only 10 minutes away from DA in the Mohawk Mall Shopping Center (237 Mohawk Trail, Greenfield).